Thursday, October 04, 2007

Anatomy of a High 'n Tight...or not so tight

I'll preface this post with, "you don't get a picture me on this one."
Why not? Well...

I hadn't visited the barber in almost three weeks. Given the criminally low price of a haircut around here, I should be seeing my Pakistani/Indian/Shri Lankan friends more often. But I hadn't and felt in dire need this morning. Off I go to get myself styled up. I usually enjoy this time because most of the guys know how I like my hair cut, and if they don't it's not too hard to interpret given their smattering of English and my non-existant ability to speak any of the languages of the countries listed above. I usually do just fine expressing my desires. And if all else fails, scissor motions etc. do the job okay.
I don't quite know where the breakdown in communication with the young fellow I had today happened. He evidenced a desire to finish quickly since another guy paused to talk with him in rapid "gibberish" (only because of my ignorance of their language) and was frequently consulting his watch. This leads me to believe that he was set on giving one haircut, and one haircut only.
My order went something like this (usually suffices and I end up with the desired effect), "Number One on the sides, Short on top please." I of course indicated how short by some scissor motions and direct indications on my hair of the desired length. His response, "yes suh, numba one and High."
My response, "yes, number one and fade here" (once again motioning to indicate where I wanted the fade to occur.)
"Yes suh, numba one and High."
"Okay" I'm thinking. "I think I've given him good enough directions." I should have been more adamant and specific. My friendly barber grabs his clippers and goes to town. Before I could say "aye, yes or no" he had run a swath from my ears to the upper reaches of my head. "This is definately higher than I had expected, much higher than I normally get." So before I could utter a single word of protest, the "damage" was done. And what am I going to do about it? Have him run a lower fade around the rest of the head? So I endured him taking the fade way too high and found myself with a very much "military-esque High but not so tight." So I've got at least a week of running around looking like every other Private First Class straight out of Basic and anxious to experience the high speed action of a war zone. Sorry PFC's (FNG's)*, the level of boredom reached around here necessitates even Blogging your pathetic hair cutting experiences. So much for enjoying the experience. I usually enjoy getting a haircut and the head massage that so many guys are too homophobic to relax and enjoy. I was too mad with the guy as well as myself to enjoy it. Oh well, given my current "repatriation" schedule I've got at least two more haircuts in store.
I'll try to find a good picture of a "high n tight" to blog for you. Until then, just imagine what I would have looked like coming out of Officer Candidate School and you would get the idea.

*FNG is not an appropriate acronym to publish in it's full length on this "family oriented" medium. If you're still curious, ask me next time I'm around.

5 comments:

Marci said...

Enjoyed so much your descriptive narative of a haircut! I bet you're the best looking one with a "basic" haircut! It was so good to hear your voice and chat a while today. I think I might finally be getting a handle on the speech delay. Just have to remember to shut up and listen until it's my turn!!! (Which by the way is awfully hard for a female! We think we have to keep interjecting "yeah's" and "uh huh's") So it sure will be good to visit in person sometime soon! Love you! Madre'

Jessi Reber said...

I'm sure you're still quite hansome, and I'm hopeful it will be grown out by the time I see you :) Too bad you don't have the uniform to go with the hair...that would definitely warrant a picture!

Andee said...

You and Benton should commiserate about the haircuts one day. Paul can hook you up with a nice medium fade--just so long as you HOLD STILL!!!!!!

Justin said...

hahah! Very nice... Brian kept worrying that he would come back to the room "without a head or something" because they cut it too short. But I guess it finally happened to someone else... I'm gonna bring a picture next time I go.

The Edelbrocks said...

Hello Reber's! Love reading your blog! Sorry about the haircut... better luck next time. ;)