Thursday, October 04, 2007

Guns, Scotch and the Medshed...

As every pilot is keenly aware of, there is a flight physical requirement that comes due periodically. In addition, all pilots are aware of when their last physical was conducted and are dreading the slow but inevitable countdown towards their next appointment. My own physical was scheduled to come due by the end of October this year. As I wouldn't have access to a civilian doctor prior to it's expiring, I became proactive and scheduled a flight physical with the local Army Doctor. Advantage here is that part of the support that the Army provides is the benefit of free medical support to include flight physicals. So I scheduled the physical and dutifully showed up. I won't go into the details of how the physical is administered, although it is not much different than your standard knee knocking, deep breathing, turn and cough experience.
So I'm sitting there answering the Doc's questions about my health and any medical issues I might have. I'm sitting there wishing this thing could be over. And I realize something. How many people are administered an Aviation Flight Physical by a Doctor with a Nine Millimeter Beretta strapped to his leg? Odd right? My normal Doc. wears bright Hawaiian shirts year around. I've had Doc's do more talking and reminiscing about old times than inspecting. I've even had retired Doc's who can barely walk administer the physical. Guys have told me stories of walking into the Doc's office, sitting down and being asked how their health was. They answered with "Just Fine Doc..." and were then offered a Scotch on the Rocks for their answer. Forget the physical right? "Have a drink and tell war stories with me!" But to be administered a physical by a Doc. with a deadly weapon on his person? Disconcerting? Nah, not after having spent 11 months going to dinner with assault rifles laying on the floor next to you. Odd? Hell yes. Kinda sends the premise of the Hippocratic Oath right out the window right? Well, not really but you get the point right?

1 comment:

Marci said...

Maybe Jessi will have to put a few assault rifles around for ambiance during dinner when you get home, at least until you've had time to assimilate back into the safe zone!