Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Been a LONG TIME...



Proof positive that even in the middle of the desert, God provides moments of incredible beauty...
May the peoples praise you, O God;
May all the peoples praise you.
Then the land will yield its harvest,
And God, our God, will bless us...
Psalm 67:5-6


Photo courtesy of Senior Rolando...

___________________________________________________________________





Kevin utilized his nearly 30 years of experience and connections to work out a tour of the 25th Combat Aviation Brigades "Wolfpack" sqaudron of AH64 Apache Helicopter Gunships.

It just happened that we picked the most beautiful day on that Sunday afternoon to enjoy the awesome machines designed purely for the destruction of a dedicated enemy and the defense of freedom. I wish I could detail the methodology and technology that goes into implementing these weapons, but that is a conversation better left off of this forum and between those who actually employ the weapons. Needless to say, very impressive. I am posing in front of the wingstub mounted Hellfire missiles that get launched off of the rack and explode to the tune of around $100,000 USD per copy. Taxpayer dollars being spent on the worthwhile termination of a cowardly enemy who hides behind remotely detonated IED's, VBIED's, Suicide IED's, and seeks shielding behind the innocent to further their insane terror tactics.



We thoroughly enjoyed the tour of the capabilities and awesome firepower of this aircraft provide by the CAB's Chief Warrant Officers. Props to the guys who fight this air war from the dangerously low level perch of their helicopters. I cannot fathom...



Many thanks to Kevin...wish you were still on the "Island" with us
___________________________________________________________________










So June Arrived with the temperatures climbing rapidly into the regions that redefine uncomfortable. I realized quickly that if my delicate collection of plants generously supplied by Madre were to survive, some sort of shading had to be employed quickly to prevent their complete and rapid destruction from an unforgiving sun.



The answer came in the form of surplus "Camo-Netting" that the Army had decided was useless and too dangerous to be utilized for their needs. I gladly grabbed a large helping of the old and semi rotted netting and with Richards help set up an effective sunscreen outside our little home. Although the sun and heat have continued to exact their toll, the netting has saved the plants (some of them) and allowed me to enjoy my small shrine to a better place throughout the summer. The net also provides for a very comfortable place to relax during the cooler periods of the evening.



___________________________________________________________________






Springtime on the "Island" provided a beautiful respite from the sporadic yet annoying rains of the winter. The waters were receding and the mud was drying...

Here's a typical day of gardening during the short spring that we experienced. It proved to be the most profitable time of growth that I had. This is about as green and beautiful that my small collection got. I'll compare this picture with a new one in a future blog to give you an idea of the struggle I have endured to keep these plants alive. It is a testament to the saying "Only the Strong Survive..."

Springtime ended as suddenly as it began sometime in mid May with temperatures soaring with little to no warning into the 90's and low 100's for a period. It wasn't long before June rolled in with an average of 108 or higher. We often woke up to a sunrise at 85 degrees, and temps reaching 105 by 10am. Such is the life we have lived over the past four months. Day after day of scorching heat, sunbleached desert and winds that very often turned our not-so-Oasis-like post into an ethereal world of dust and sand, halting any chance to complete meaningful work for the day.

4 comments:

Jessi Reber said...

If wonders never cease! I am so proud of you for updating your blog!! yay!! Many people will be happy to see this. Keep it up...stop saying you're boring and give the people what they want! Love you!

Aly sun said...

Give the people what they want!!! I had stopped checking. Good thing Jess told me about this small miricle of you blogging again.
I think your writing is entertaining and quite funny. Thanks for updating and good work with the plants.

Marci said...

I love the camo-netting! Makes the place look so inviting!! Your garden looks wonderful. Jessi's right. I can hardly wait to see what you can do with your own yard in a half way decent climate (Oregon is still better you know!)However, I have to admit, Tom and George did an excellent job in the heat and humidity!

Jessi Reber said...

I believe that is Jefferson and Washington my mom is referring to, for the non-Virginians :)