
The Pride and Joy of my collection. Who said that Chia Pets are cheesy? I'd agree, but the potted plants are pretty cool. I started them in midwinter inside. The Basil is the only one left and it is flourishing very nicely after being transferred to a larger planter. I have yet to decide whether I'm going to invest the energy in planting another set of plants when it cools down around here. I'm just not sure if it will be worth the effort.
___________________________________________________________________

I know what you're thinking. What is this thing called? Yes folks, it is a sunflower. And yes folks, it is your average, every-day sunflower that flourishes in moderate climates somewhere between 35 degrees north latitude and 45 degrees north latitude. Yes yes, my current location falls pretty close to that, but come on now. I am smack dab in one of the more extreme climates on the planet. So please keep that in mind before you begin to judge my poor pathetic little sunflower that is struggling so mightily with the elements.
___________________________________________________________________
The assorted collection of planters, shovel and watering can that are the center of my gardening enterprise. Surprisingly, from a historical standpoint (historical being the last 6 months) the plants in the planter to the left have done quite well. The sunflowers have stayed healthier than any others, and the alyssum lasted much longer than the rest (roasted to nothing now though). Many thanks to Bob from next door who took pitty on my small collection and kept them alive while I was away on leave. He is still helping me out with a can of water every day or two when I can't get to it, but he leaves shortly and I will miss him and his help.


5 comments:
I am so proud of your gardening efforts! I can't wait to see what you do with our yard...in a much easier climate to deal with! :) Now was that a zinnia or ginnia? :)
Drew, I must say I am impressed. I can't keep a blessed thing alive around here. Even small success in your enterprise is heroism at it's finest.
PS Thanks for the update! We've missed you.
Love the ginnia!!! You know you might try planting some tulips or daffodils if you're planning a return visit in Spring. Depending on the low temp for winter there, the bulbs might have to do a stint in the refigerator before planting in order to bloom.
Gardening is hard enough in the easiest climates. I have weeds that tower over my garden. My thinking is that weeds are easier to pull when they are huge.
Thanks to my husband and his ever growing drip systems around the yard, some of my plants are still flourishing.
Great work on your porch garden. It looks like my mom needs to come and dust your sunflowers though. She always has enjoyed dusting plants.
Alysun...I laughed out loud at your mom dusting plants comment... just struck me funny! :)
Post a Comment